Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 3 Woop! Woop!

Day 3 finds me still stiff and sore but slowly regaining strength in my arms and legs…I'm feeling great about my classes so far and then I see the schedule.  The only class I can get to today is being taught by my nemeses…let's call him "Joe".  Just because I don't know any Joe's…don't want to offend anyone.  This requires a bit of a backstory…maybe a year or so ago I was taking a class with "Joe".  He is the instructor that will not let you adjust your towel, you may not wipe off sweat or drink water except for when says.  All of that is fine because I don't do those things…I don't fidget…I am focused….I thought "I got this, right"?  Wrong!  Apparently my triangle was not up to his satisfaction and rather than letting me take a well deserved savasana after two sets I had to do a third set of triangle!  What?!?  Who does that? So not a big fan of Joe.  Backstory complete.  I don't have a lot of free time so I have to go to yoga whenever I can squeeze it in…Joe's class it is.  I get there and set myself up…focused determined.  There are some newbies in class which is great because he's leaving me alone then. I am very focused as he talks about standing still in the waterfall of gravity.  Then we get to the floor series. I have some wonky knees that I thought were just built that way.  Apparently Joe thinks they need to be corrected.  I'm in locust and he puts a rock between my knees and says "don't drop it". The whole rest of the spine strengthening series I have to hold this rock between my knees!!  Every posture he would put it back in "don't drop it"!  I didn't drop it.  I almost cried….but I didn't drop it.  After class he came to me and gave me a very thorough lesson about my knees and my hips and how to correct the malalignment and helped me to learn to feel the muscles of my inner thighs and lift from there rather than rotating my hips and lifting with my outer glute muscles, how to stand and lock my knees without hyperextending them, and how to connect my inner thighs through my pubic bone up to my stomach muscles deep inside.  I learned that I have a lot of work to do….over the last three years no other teacher has ever noticed the issue or just didn't bother to correct it.  Thanks "Joe".    You Rock!!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment